Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Neat Story

My friend sent me the following story. Although I don't know if it is true, the message still is comforting.


During WWII, a U.S. marine was separated from his unit on a Pacific Island. The fighting had been intense, and in the smoke and the crossfire he had lost touch with his comrades. Alone in the jungle, he could hear enemy soldiers coming in his direction. Scrambling for cover, he found his way up a high ridge to several small caves in the rock and quickly crawled inside of one.
As he waited, he prayed, "Lord, if it be your will, please protect me. Whatever your will, I love and trust you. Amen.
After praying, he lay quietly, listening to the enemy draw close. He thought, "Well, I guess the Lord isn't going to help me out of this one." Then he saw a spider begin to build a web over the front of the cave. As he watched, listening to the enemy searching for him all while, the spider layered strand after strand of web across the opening in the cave. He thought, "What I need is a brick wall and what the Lord has sent me is a spider web. God does have a sense of humor." As the enemy drew closer he watched from the darkness of his hideout and could see them searching one cave after another. As they came to his, he was ready to make a last stand. To his amazement, after glancing in the direction of his cave, they moved on. Suddenly, he realized that with the spider web over the entrance, his cave looked as though no one had entered for quite a while.
"Lord, forgive me," prayed the young man. "I had forgotten that in you a spider's web is stronger than a man's brick wall."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool story you sure have a knack for finding them.

Cindi said...

That is a beautiful story, and we should remember it in our daily lives...the Lord knows exactly what we need...even when we doubt.

Cindi said...

That is a beautiful story, and we should remember it in our daily lives...the Lord knows exactly what we need...even when we doubt.